|new Wikified FAQ||Static 'Compiling and Using' FAQ||TODO List||Developers||PowerDNSSEC|
TICKETS HAVE MOVED TO GITHUB, https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues
This is the PowerDNS Community Page
PowerDNS is an advanced high performance authoritative nameserver with a host of backends. Besides plain BIND configuration files, PDNS reads information from MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL and many other databases. Backends can easily be written in any language, and a sample Perl backend is provided. This page is intended as an interactive center for the PowerDNS community, users and developers.
wiki.powerdns.com and svn.powerdns.com are made possible by XS4ALL!
PowerDNS has five kinds of 'outlets':
- the pretty .com website (where you can buy commercial support etc)
- Static documentation
- the mailing lists:
- This Wiki
- Many of the pages here can be edited
- bert hubert has a blog that mentions PowerDNS a lot.
- Find us on Twitter: @PowerDNS, @Habbie, @PowerDNScommits, @PowerDNS_Bert
- And on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PowerDNS
- And on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109461275309357168312
- And on Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/PowerDNS-2083262?home=&gid=2083262&trk=anet_ug_hm
Getting PowerDNS packages
- Our official downloads: source tarballs and static packages for the latest releases.
- Ubuntu Lucid: Christof Meerwald has PowerDNS packages for Ubuntu Lucid.
- pdns-server and pdns-recursor packages in Ubuntu.
- pdns-server and pdns-recursor packages in Debian.
- pdns and pdns-recursor packages in OpenSUSE. For packages of the latest version check the server:dns repository.
- The PowerDNS FreeBSD ports listing
Access to the source, applying patches
You can download the source from the page mentioned above. To get really involved, you can get access to the source repository using Subversion. The repository
is available on svn://svn.powerdns.com/pdns.
To submit patches, checkout the trunk, do your editing, and send the output of svn diff to the pdns-dev list. The source can also be browsed online here.
Building a functioning PowerDNS from the repository, or applying patches, is a bit more work, read all about it in the HACKING section.
You may also like our GitHub bridge.
- New new Wikified FAQ
- Page of Norbert Sendetzky, the author of PowerDNS support in LDAP, and the documentation wiki
- Page explaining Mark Bergsma's DNS loadbalancing support, as used by the WikiPedia
- http://ds9a.nl, http://www.netherlabs.nl pages by the main author of PowerDNS
- List of DNS record types (Wikipedia)
- List of DNS parameters (IANA)
Tasks we need help with
- Reviving OS X support
- Solaris packages
- Testing backends
- Writing regression tests, see here
- Collecting and documenting the plethora of web frontends
- Managing our tickets:
- verifying that bugs reported for old versions still apply to new versions
- reproducing unclear tickets to clarify them
- writing patches!
Or read/edit the TODO list.