This is a list of stuff PowerDNS developers think should be done in the near future. Only add items here if you consider yourself a developer. Feature requests can best be submitted by filing a ticket or by mailing to the mailing lists. Note! To file a ticket, you need to click 'Login' above, username anon password "No Spam" *without quotes or the space in between*. Thanks.
- bind2backend is woefully underdocumented!
- what the SQL-fields do are also underdocumented. A list with really deep information would be good! - I've started at: fields
Big Idea Things
The big idea waiting to happen is the Zone Provisioning Protocol which allows 'dns peers' to exchange zones, or force resyncs (regardless of SOA serial numbers). This might live outside of PowerDNS
Items which require coding
- add support for a "something-plus-cname-query" to allow optimised queries in the backend; not sure this makes sense with 3.0 usually sending ANY
- implement code like https://list.xs4all.nl/pipermail/freeradius-devel/2003-September/005863.html so we can bind to all interfaces in one go w/o problems
- zone includes absolute/relative paths
- teach bindbackend to reload the configuration
- 'rediscover' method?
- pdns_control mass-notify
- notify everybody of everything
- pdns_control rediscover
- make guardian perform pings over the controlsocket, 'heartbeat'
- autotuning number of backend threads
- pdns_recursor should have logging family setting
- there is a lot of manual lugging around of sockaddr_in stuff, abstract that
- also far too much gethostbyname abuse
- move pdns_recursor to MOADNSParser
- give pdns_recursor a single timestamp
- Add IPv6 support for AXFR / Notifies / Supermaster
- Move pdnssec functionality to pdns_control