|Version 4 (modified by ahu, 8 years ago)|
As we are nearing the version 3 release, now is a good time to determine the goals for this major release and, equally important, non-goals.
After 3.0 I expect there will be some replacements of subsystems that aren't up to par, before heading on to 3.1 in which we'll be doing new and cool things.
- Be a better Bind than Bind
This means that PowerDNS should, for many Bind configurations, be a near drop-in replacement, and have instant advantages. PowerDNS will only read zone information from named.conf, to configure PowerDNS, you should continue to use pdns.conf.
- This also means removing the bindbackend and replacing it with the current bind2backend. As it is, the bindbackend has problems in some configurations.
- Build out of the box on Windows again
- Fix the HINFO bug
- PostgreSQL database disruptions should verifiably no longer upset PowerDNS
Non-goals, but perhaps for 3.1 timeframe:
- The current DNSPacket parser is a dirty hack and needs to be re-done. It does work however.
- The much vaunted DNS provisioning protocol
- DNS Updates
- 'forwarder' support