|Version 64 (modified by peter, 13 months ago)|
|new Wikified FAQ||Static 'Compiling and Using' FAQ||TODO List||Developers||PowerDNSSEC|
TO FILE BUGS, OR CHANGE THE WIKI, CLICK 'LOGIN' ABOVE, USERNAME anon PASSWORD "No Spam" without quotes or the space in between
Apologies for the inconvenience, spam is forcing our hand here..
This is the PowerDNS Community Page
PowerDNS is an advanced high performance authoritative nameserver with a host of backends. Besides plain BIND configuration files, PDNS reads information from MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL and many other databases. Backends can easily be written in any language, and a sample Perl backend is provided. This page is intended as an interactive center for the PowerDNS community, users and developers.
wiki.powerdns.com and svn.powerdns.com are made possible by XS4ALL!
PowerDNS has five kinds of 'outlets':
- the pretty .com website (where you can buy commercial support etc)
- Static documentation
- the mailing lists:
- This Wiki
- Many of the pages here can be edited
Furthermore, bert hubert has a blog that mentions PowerDNS a lot.
If you are happy with PowerDNS, but don't need commercial support, feel free to donate!
|in Euros||in USD.|
Please be aware that donating may or may not help in getting your bug fixed earlier. There are no guarantees!
Getting PowerDNS packages
- Our official downloads: source tarballs and static packages for the latest releases.
- Ubuntu Lucid: Christof Meerwald has PowerDNS packages for Ubuntu Lucid.
- pdns-server and pdns-recursor packages in Ubuntu.
- pdns-server and pdns-recursor packages in Debian.
- pdns and pdns-recursor packages in OpenSUSE. OpenSUSE also offers backport-style packages.
- The PowerDNS FreeBSD ports listing
Access to the source, applying patches
You can download the source from the page mentioned above. To get really involved, you can get access to the source repository using Subversion. The repository is available on svn://svn.powerdns.com/pdns. To check out only the latest version, do:
$ svn co svn://svn.powerdns.com/pdns/trunk/pdns pdns A pdns/debian A pdns/debian/control A pdns/debian/pdns.postinst ...
To submit patches, checkout the trunk, do your editing, and send the output of svn diff to the pdns-dev list. The source can also be browsed online here.
Building a functioning PowerDNS from the repository, or applying patches, is a bit more work, read all about it in the HACKING section.
- New new Wikified FAQ
- Page of Norbert Sendetzky, the author of PowerDNS support in LDAP, and the documentation wiki
- Page explaining Mark Bergsma's DNS loadbalancing support, as used by the WikiPedia
- http://ds9a.nl, http://www.netherlabs.nl pages by the main author of PowerDNS
- List of DNS record types (Wikipedia)
- List of DNS parameters (IANA)
Tasks we need help with
- Reviving OS X support
- Solaris packages
- Testing backends
- Writing regression tests, see here
Or read/edit the TODO list.